Cafe 1999 offers a dining experience to excite the senses: a vibrant ambiance, gracious service and a delectable menu in the heart of Durban’s trendy Berea. Chef Marcelle Roberts award winning contemporary Mediterranean cuisine is designed around sharing.
The menu is informed by the seasons using only the finest local and imported ingredients, hand-picked by Marcelle and her team, culminating in fresh and innovative seasonal dishes. Cafe 1999 has has been in operation for 12 years and has remained a firm favourite for locals and visitors alike.
Valentines Menu 2014
Glass of sparkling wine on arrival
Wasabi cured venison with pickled shimeji mushrooms and sweet soy
Asian Beach Garden
2 Oysters-cucumber and lime pickle and Vietnamese dressing, coriander and lime marinated calamari, prawn lollipop with sweet chilli and coriander mayo
Roast beetroot, Macadamia brittle, micro greens, Gorgonzola nuggets and pistachio biscuit, chive dressing
Litchi, lemongrass and ginger sorbet
Char-grilled Lamb Cutlets, marinated in rosemary, cauliflower and Gorgonzola puree, charred asparagus, Parma Ham, red wine reduction
Singaporean seafood curry with Basmati rice, mango sambal and crispy poppadums
Asparagus risotto, grilled artichokes, Parmesan crisps, Romesco sauce
Free range Baby chicken, grilled with chilli, oregano and coconut milk, home made fries and rocket, baby spinach and avocado salad with lemon and olive oil dressing
Red Velvet heart shaped waffle with creamed cheese ice cream, white chocolate ganache and fresh berries
R400 per head
*Please note that dishes are subject to change due to availability of seasonal ingredients
Cafe 1999 Support Umthombo. Your support of Food 4 Thought enables Umthombo’s activities. Here are a few exciting activities that have been happening at Umthombo during the last three months:
1. The first ever group of former street children swam the Midmar Mile this year. It was an incredible event, and the youngsters trained for it. Al of the youngsters completed the swim. These type of character building activities are great as part of Umthombo’s model of empowering street children to see themselves as full human beings with potential.
2. Umthombo hosted Jennipher Marshall Jenkinson, who is from the UK and is the leader in microwave cooking expert in Europe. She supplied the organisation with two large microwave ovens to assist the cooking that is done in the nutrition programme at Umthombo. She also ran cooking prorgammes with the staff and children at Umthombo.
3. Umthombo continues to get kids off the streets through it centre in Point called Safespace. There is a range of activities and counselling that happens there. The kids from Umthombo recently recorded a Hip Hop song about their lives which was featured on the ETV documentary Kushayo Gagasi.
4. Portuguese pro surfer Zé Ferreira (O’neill team rider) dropped in to Umthombo to surf with the kids.
5. Coca Cola have made an advert and short documentary about surfing as a tool to get kids off the streets. The great thing about this is that it features 4 ex street children, who are now employed and who all came through Umthombo.
Your support allows Umthombo’s work to be successful. Thank you. Food 4 Thought makes a huge difference in the life of Umthombo and the lives of these children.