Cafe 1999 offers a dining experience to excite the senses: a vibrant ambiance, gracious service and a delectable menu in the heart of Durban’s trendy Berea. Chef Marcelle Roberts award winning contemporary Mediterranean cuisine is designed around sharing.
The menu is informed by the seasons using only the finest local and imported ingredients, hand-picked by Marcelle and her team, culminating in fresh and innovative seasonal dishes. Cafe 1999 has has been in operation for 12 years and has remained a firm favourite for locals and visitors alike.
CHRISTMAS EVE DINNER MENU2013
Bubbles with Christmas berries on arrival and festive season inspired amouse bouche
Home made beetroot cured gravadlax with chive and creme fraiche Mousse, rye toast
Grilled Camembert, dried cranberries, pistachio and Parmesan shortbread, apple and anise chutney
Rolled pork belly with sage, roasted and sliced onto garlic potato purée, roasted root veg, bread sauceOrGrilled 250g sirloin, cafe de Paris butter, crispy fries and saladOrRoasted Beetroot tart with onion marmalade, goat’s cheese medallions, rocket and basil pestoOrFresh line fish oven baked with a walnut and Parmesan crust on Asparagus and Chardonnay risotto
Panetone ‘French toast’ with white chocolate, fresh berries and Christmas cake ice cream
250 per head
Cafe 1999 Support Umthombo. Your support of Food 4 Thought enables Umthombo’s activities. Here are a few exciting activities that have been happening at Umthombo during the last three months:
1. The first ever group of former street children swam the Midmar Mile this year. It was an incredible event, and the youngsters trained for it. Al of the youngsters completed the swim. These type of character building activities are great as part of Umthombo’s model of empowering street children to see themselves as full human beings with potential.
2. Umthombo hosted Jennipher Marshall Jenkinson, who is from the UK and is the leader in microwave cooking expert in Europe. She supplied the organisation with two large microwave ovens to assist the cooking that is done in the nutrition programme at Umthombo. She also ran cooking prorgammes with the staff and children at Umthombo.
3. Umthombo continues to get kids off the streets through it centre in Point called Safespace. There is a range of activities and counselling that happens there. The kids from Umthombo recently recorded a Hip Hop song about their lives which was featured on the ETV documentary Kushayo Gagasi.
4. Portuguese pro surfer Zé Ferreira (O’neill team rider) dropped in to Umthombo to surf with the kids.
5. Coca Cola have made an advert and short documentary about surfing as a tool to get kids off the streets. The great thing about this is that it features 4 ex street children, who are now employed and who all came through Umthombo.
Your support allows Umthombo’s work to be successful. Thank you. Food 4 Thought makes a huge difference in the life of Umthombo and the lives of these children.